Thursday, July 21, 2011

Q & A: Whats the best protein powder and can I drink protein shakes when I have high cholesterol?

Patient Question: 
My cholesterol is not good at all. I have been reading up on the things I can do and have a good plan. The one question I am not sure about is protein drinks. If they are low in saturated fat and low in cholesterol does that mean I can drink them while trying to lower my cholesterol? 

Leah's Answer: 
For the average adult (None body builders), you can drink protein shakes but keep in mind that they are meant to be meal replacements. When you look for protein shakes you should look for ones that have at least 20g protein per serving and less than 150 calories per serving.

Since you are supplementing a meal with a shake, try adding 1/4th a cup of Fiber One original cereal for a boost of fiber (many powders don't have fiber), half a frozen banana (50 calories), PB2 powdered peanut butter (has fiber and protein, plus is tasty), soy milk (unsweetened) for an extra boost of healthy cholesterol fighting nutrients, or a small amount of yogurt. 
***You will need a blender for many of the above mix-ins, add Fiber One first and make it into a powder before adding liquid ingredients

People with high cholesterol still benefit from exercise (raises good, HDL, cholesterol) and weight loss if needed. Sometimes diet and exercise are not enough to lower cholesterol since 75% of our lab values come from what our bodies make. Follow up with Dr. Hayes and get your labs drawn as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment